Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Freely Given

Yesterday, a woman flagged me down as I was leaving the Publix shopping center. She looked frantic and said she'd fled her home and abusive husband in a hurry and had left her purse behind. Did I have some change with which she could buy some gas? I told her if she'd drive down to the service station, I'd buy her a tank of gas. She quickly accepted and drove on. As she pumped gas into her car, she kept saying "I have a job, I have money" and thanked me for helping her. I assured her that I was happy to help her. I explained that it wasn't my money but I was just a steward of the money God gave us and that this was how I could show her the love of Jesus. She wouldn't let me fill her tank to the top, but thanked me and drove away with a wave. It was a wonderful opportunity to show Jadyn how to extend kindness to strangers as Jesus would have us do.

Today, I see a Twitter post by a friend who also lives in my area that she, too, helped someone yesterday only to find out she'd been duped. Immediately I thought of my own scenario and wondered if I'd been scammed by the same person.

I've been scammed in the past and it really made me angry. I vowed it would never happen again. If I determined that they deserved my help, then I'd give it.....WHAT?!

My anger was based out of pride. I'd been duped. I looked stupid. My money was wasted. Me, myself, I. I certainly hadn't given with a cheerful heart and my conditional help didn't honor Jesus in any way.

This time, I'm not angry. I don't even know if this lady's claim was legitimate or not. It doesn't matter. I'm responsible for myself and my actions, not hers. I was able to give her a hug, tell her that Jesus loved her and pray for her as I drove home. My daughter got to see how we obey Jesus and love others in a practical way. My position is not as judge to determine if that woman was "worthy" of my gift. God knows her heart and will deal with her in love the way she needs it. It's His money, so if was stolen, He'll see that it's returned.

I'm thankful that God loves me unconditionally and didn't wait until I deserved His gift before He gave it. The gift was not dependent on a change of heart, but rather was what caused it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to come to terms with why i was giving. Since i've done that, i've never been 'duped'. The person might be lying about their situation, but i'm not helping because of their plea. I'm helping because i want to, because it is Christ-like to give. I had to tell myself that if i am basing my giving off the story they tell me, then i am judging them and their situation.

There are times when people have asked for help that i know are lying, but the point is they asked and i felt like giving. Other times, the sounded very sincere, but my giving spirit wasn't there.

I'd like to think that if someone walked up and said "i'm just having a really crappy day, but i'm perfectly well off and can afford lunch" i might buy them lunch anyway, as a gesture of kindness.

Even when you are "duped", you aren't. You have still shown that person kindness and God's love. In the big picture, i think that's why you're doing it. Not just to meet some specific need.

Phil said...

So well said, daughter. I am humbled and taught by each of your posts (is that the modern term for devotionals). Thank you for sharing your heart.

Allison said...

That reminds me of how Pastor Al quoted Micah when it talks about robbing God of His tithes and offerings. How many times do I get in the way of the blessing or lesson He has to give. Thanks for sharing.