Friday, January 16, 2009

The Love of Jesus and Football

I heard this story read in its entirety on the radio this morning and I just had to share it with as many people as I could. Tears flowed as I listened to this tale of how some high school kids and their coaches and parents lavishly showed the love of Jesus to a group of kids most would have shunned.

My desperate prayer is that God would help me love people just a fraction of how He does. My nose is in my navel far too often and I fail to see the people around me. If I do see them, I tend to see them through the lens of what they can do for me or why they're in my way. Brandon Heath's song, Give Me Your Eyes, fleshes out my heart's prayer. The chorus says, "Give me Your eyes for just one second, Give me your eyes so I can see, Everything that I've been missing, Give me your love for humanity."

I went to a Beth Moore conference several years ago and one thing has stayed with me ever since. She spoke of when Jesus healed the blind man in Mark 8:22. When Jesus touched the man's eyes the first time, He asked him what he saw and the man replied, "I see men like trees walking around." Jesus touched his eyes a second time and then the man saw everything clearly. His healing was not complete until he saw people clearly. If I just see people as "trees walking" and not as individuals, I'm not completely free of my blindness. Having my eyes completely opened means seeing people through the lens of Jesus' love.

The kids, parents and coaches in that story didn't see the other team as just a bunch of thugs they had to play one night. They saw them as hurting souls in need of the love of Jesus. They then put their faith into action in a simple, practical but powerful way. It was so easy to do, yet so incredibly "forever."

I want to be able to do that. My prayer, then, is the cry of blind Bartimaeus who said, "I want to regain my sight!" I don't want to see people as trees, objects, obstacles. I want to quit being blinded by my self and see people like Jesus does.

2 comments:

Sharon Lynne said...

"Open my eyes, Lord; I want to see Jesus........." It's amazing how He looks in people....some of these the least of brethren.

Allison said...

That story is amazing!! I have to finish reading it when my company is gone...not good to cry in front of andy's study partner. I'm going to forward that to my dad!